Viewing Private Decks? Banned Cards?

You must be logged in if you wish to post to the forum.

User
OPSallysnaglepuss 2 years ago

Sometimes I will see a great deck idea and click on it to view it only to  be told I have to sign in as the deck builder to view the deck. Oh ok, lol. Why is this an option? Why build decks when you are the only one allowed to look at it? 

And what is going on with people building decks with banned cards? Do they not know that these cards are banned? I know it may seem petty but it is kind of frustrating to click on a deck to view only to see cards that are banned, what a waste of time, let alone a waste of time for whoever built the deck. Yes, this site has an option for what format you are classifying that specific deck you are building but whoever is building these decks is just uneducated in my opinion as to what is legal and what is not legal and calling it an Expanded Deck. All you have to do is login to your PTCGO account and try to build the same deck and yes, you will find a big, red, BANNED emblem on these cards letting you know but if these people were building these decks on PTCGO and copying them over to here then I dont think this would be an issue. It's the people putting the same decks together and calling it something different every time who have no idea that what they are submitting is a complete waste of time. If you are going to build these decks, classify it as "No Specific Format" deck and maybe even put in your notes... "Hey some of these cards are banned in certain formats, that is why I listed it as no specific format." If I opened a deck and saw this kind of note, I would trust that whoever built that deck knows what they are doing and I automatically feel better about what I am looking at. 

This site needs to implement the banned card feature, that simple. 

Anytime I submit a deck, it's a deck I have played, tested, altered and did everything I can to make it work so I can hopefully help someone else interested in that type of deck. Not for show, not for clout but for players who want to play. I am looking for playable decks from educated players. That's what I thought this site was for. 

User Premium
Genesis 2 years ago

In the first scenario, it sounds like someone made a deck public, causing it to show on the deck search/front page, and then edited it to make it private. This removes it from the front page/deck search but there may be a caching delay causing it to temporarily still show up there.

For the second point, you went in a real roundabout way to request the enforcement of banned cards, which is something I am already working on. 

User

Appreciate the response and efforts. I really enjoy this site and I am glad this issue is on your radar. 

User Premium
Genesis 2 years ago

Ok, I ran back through my code this morning and modified it. The code should now respect cards listed on the ban list.

As a test, I tried to post a fully legal expanded deck and included "Reset Stamp" which then threw an error and told me it wasn't legal so it should work properly now. I also updated my nightly script that confirms the legality of all decks on the site so it should run tonight and updated all decks found with banned cards.

Thanks for the feedback!

User

Thank you for what you do. I truly value this site and your efforts!

User
OPSallysnaglepuss 1 year ago

With deck's being private, is it possible to not see them within deck list's? When someone makes a deck public, we can all see it, no problem. When someone makes a deck private, they still show up, you just can't view the deck. Is it possible to just not see them? It would be ideal to where only the creator can see their deck's and they don't show up on the public list's unless they edit the list and make it public. When I am searching deck's and I am 2-3 pages deep, if I click on a list, find out it's private, I have to start over from page 1 to get back where I was. It's fine and not the biggest issue, it would be nice to not have to click through multiple pages to get back to where I was because I tried to view a deck on a public list that was private. Hope this makes sense, thanks!

User Premium
Genesis 1 year ago
Sallysnaglepuss:

With deck's being private, is it possible to not see them within deck list's? When someone makes a deck public, we can all see it, no problem. When someone makes a deck private, they still show up, you just can't view the deck. Is it possible to just not see them? It would be ideal to where only the creator can see their deck's and they don't show up on the public list's unless they edit the list and make it public. When I am searching deck's and I am 2-3 pages deep, if I click on a list,...

Hmmm when a deck is made private it should immediately disappear from the deck search page.

I'm assuming the reasoning you are seeing this is because of your local browser cache setting. I'd put money down that if you had refreshed the deck search page an additional time before checking that the private deck wouldn't appear in the list. I'll double check some of our server cache settings to modify and enhance this behavior.

Because I agree! It's not cool seeing private decks on the deck search as it's a waste of time.

User
OPSallysnaglepuss 1 year ago

I agree, I always refresh not once but twice before searching decks, I learned quickly that you have to refresh the page in order to see the most recent decks that have been submitted. Appreciate you taking the time to research this.